Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Follow A long A Shot-Part2

Breakdowns and Timing pass!

Here is a quick update on the latest shot. I added Breakdowns and afterwards spread out all my keys and added the timing.

One big thing to notes is that I purely focus on each step on my workflow at a time. Therefore when I do Key poses, like last pose that is all I focus on. No Timing, No breakdowns, just key poses. If it's working on just that level I can move on to step two, breakdowns.
Same thing for Breakdowns and once that is working properly move on to add timing.

I do think of some rough timing in my head. but it's important to give each step of your workflow it's proper attention. Just like the architect knows there will be 4 windows in a house, but she/he doesn't start building the house by cutting wood for the window.



Start Spline

So here is the next pass where I start to spline. Notice how some of the timing has dramatically changed since I am going for a very snappy feel. 
I work in small chunks so I spline frm 1-36, frm 36-71,frm 71-98.
I will usually start spline by cleaning up the graph editor, then I will proceed to making sure things are not moving on the same frame. (Super huge note, frame by frame your work so all the parts in your character are not moving on the same frame.)
Arcs, sharpen timing.
Notice frm 1-71 I have gone in and done all that's mentioned above, but frm 71-98 I've only cleaned the graph editor so everything is moving at the same time and does not look very good.

Thanks and more to come soon, enjoy and feel free to ask questions in the comments section.
For more detailed information about my workflow check out previous post or the Lectures section of my blog.

5 comments:

  1. So I was asked:
    "Kelly! Loved this post! So do u recommend splining parts at a time and leaving the back end in stepped until you reach it?"

    Response:
    "Oh yeah definitely! I work in small "movements" that way I can just focus on that one move and make sure it works and move down the timeline little by little. But knowing that it is working so when you get to the end it works! Then after that pass you can then go back and jump around doing your next even more refined polish pass on certain parts. Glad it helps smile I'll try to be more detailed next post!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kelly. Loving what you're doing! Quick question. You said that at this stage you start making sure that body parts are not moving on the same frame. Is this something you incorperate into your poses, or do you start offsetting keys now? Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. So it's not about the poses. I do try to build in drag and overlap into my poses, but when you go into spline inherently everything moves on the same frame. The entire body is on one frame, so the hips arms, ect all start to move on the same frame. So when you go into spline a big thing is to make sure everything is not moving on the same frame. It sort of breaks up your key poses a bit, but that's why I do it as a sort of last bit of my first spline past. I make sure it's all working, and then I say well both hands start to go up on the same frame, let me break that up and have one hand go first. The torso and head turn on the same frame, let me break that up ect. BUT do little bits at a time to make sure you're not ruining your shot, remember there is a reason why you posed something out a certain way so dont loose your original idea by offsetting things.
    Hope that makes sense :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh soo cute!! i love it kelly :)

    ReplyDelete